The Widow Guard

The Red Baron

The Widow Guard

The Widow Guard logoDuring COVID, Jon ran a couple of virtual CAVCons. The first one was just he and I trying our best to entertain people for 10+ hours a day. We painted a lot, talked about the future of CAV, and played some games. 

This was also when Jon first released the Cobra and the King Cobra. In the lead up to virtual CAVCon he sent me some 3D printed copies to paint up as part of my force that year.

Honestly, the whole convention was kind of a last minute decision and I was rushed getting these models done but they came out ok and I really love the models.

I've never really worked out their background, I just know I want them to have a spider motif. I'll expand their story soon.

spacer.png
spacer.png
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Diceslinger said:

Your line between the black and yellow is so crisp.  How did you get it that straight and even?

For these models I used painters tape and an air-brush. It does a pretty good job. Where the line was uneven I used a brush to very carefully straighten it out. If you could see them in person you could pick out the flaws. 🙂

That said, when the paint and my air-brush are cooperative I can paint surprisingly tiny details with it.

Thanks for the kind words.

I have a couple ideas on getting the line straight without to much effort.  Something I have tried and had decent success with is the Tamiya masking tape.  Has a bit of a cost to it, more than painters tape, but it is a very good product and comes in various sizes.  For the edges or areas where the contours of the model may make the tape not stick well, a rubber tipped sculpting tool can be used to press the tape to the contour.  I have found that the Tamiya tape has some flexibility to it that will also help it conform.  Not an end all answer and as Red Barron said sometimes you have to make some touch ups no mater how carefully masked the area is.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 8:35 AM, Ultramarine said:

I have a couple ideas on getting the line straight without to much effort.  Something I have tried and had decent success with is the Tamiya masking tape.  Has a bit of a cost to it, more than painters tape, but it is a very good product and comes in various sizes.  For the edges or areas where the contours of the model may make the tape not stick well, a rubber tipped sculpting tool can be used to press the tape to the contour.  I have found that the Tamiya tape has some flexibility to it that will also help it conform.  Not an end all answer and as Red Barron said sometimes you have to make some touch ups no mater how carefully masked the area is.

I have some Tamiya tape and use it when I need a stripe of some kind - mine is pretty narrow. Painters tape is cheap and works well for me. Great tip on the sculpting tool I'll try that next time.

I also try and plan the division of colors to take advantage of the model layout - minimizing the number of times I need to split the colors on a wide open surface. Humans see straight lines very well and its easy to pick out the smallest mistakes when they are out in the open - ime.