Alien plant and trees completed

Ultramarine

The Red Baron
This post was recognized by The Red Baron!

"Fantastic Terrain love to see some truly alien stuff."

Ultramarine was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 11 points.

In this post I will put up pictures of some alien trees and such that I have been printing and painting.  This will probably be easier than a bunch of post in other parts of the forum.  So, here goes.

AFDAE6D7-0FD0-47B3-9241-99E656D8A01B.thumb.jpeg.9a6e369819adb2801e9960cf6066250b.jpeg

C93F80F2-5312-48DA-887B-C3948B5153CB.thumb.jpeg.630ba3fff0d118adf761a432d4eff82d.jpeg

1F57075D-BAF7-44F5-9680-29C5C603D5E8.thumb.jpeg.6ef595eee5fde06b162b7f45c56e2304.jpeg

9A4444FB-5747-4FE7-8ACD-23CF62BB883C.thumb.jpeg.cb37b24c55dac5173f9b8716c2f990c1.jpeg

I need a better back drop, anyone have any suggestions/ideas that would help with back drops?

• Like 2

I have zero experience with photoshop.  I should look into it and see what I can do.  I have also looked at some model railroad backdrops, so maybe I will go that route?  

As for 3D printing…..  It is a hobby in its own right.  It is a fun learning curve as well.  Not totally straight forward.  Once you get the hang of it though, at least for me on most of this stuff, it has been super fun and I have been able to get some nice prints/results.  Totally passable for game play and super affordable.  One thing to keep in mind if you do decide to get into it, is that not all STL files are created the same.  Some are fantastic and some are not so much.  I have gotten some bad files that do not print well no matter what I do.

I think you just want any program that can work with layers (free is better than Photoshop's pricing).  Layer one is whatever you choose to use as a "backdrop" (planetary landing area, alien hillsides, whatever).  Layer 2 is what you take your picture of.   Way overly simplistic as I'm sure it's more complex than it sounds.

Part of my hang up on 3-d printing is the space to put the printer.  Space is at a premium around my computer. 

Syagrius….  I am ‘ultrawarrior’ on the Hirst arts forum.  I have many posts there, if you have the time check out some of my builds.  Currently I am painting up the better part of the Hirst mech terrain.  They will be posted here on this forum in the terrain section once I complete them, as well as on the Hirst forum.  I have been casting plaster blocks for as long as Mr. Hirst has had the molds out/available. I totally agree with you casting is also a hobby in its own right as well.  I also totally understand the space issue.  Who would have thought that miniature models/figures that are about 2 inches tall would be such a space consuming hobby?  I will have to check into using some layers to make a cool back drop as suggested, I have been needing something I can use for years.

try the link below, hopefully it works for one of my Hirst arts posts:  

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hirstarts/small-scale-buildings-t8849.html

Edited by Ultramarine
  • Like 1

Syagrius…. Building looks great!  I am sure it was a fun project.  Hopefully you can post up some picts. of your CAVs when done.  I have a good amount of stuff to post up, when time allows I try to get more pictures taken and posts made up.  Cuts into my painting time though….haha.  Also looking forward to a post or two of the Hirst mech terrain as well, if you have time to post it up.  If time allows I will try to start a post for mine as I don’t have time finish everything, but I could post up some WIP shots.

That project was the first one I finished after I lost my wife. I started it with her 16 years ago (though it sat in a box for 9 of those years).  I usually build on CDs (and a mini-cd for a ruin in a swamp).   The nice thing about small builds is they can become battlefield scatter - cover or concealment.   

I'm eyeballing the star fortress molds ( https://hirstarts.com/starfort/starfort.html ) - though 3-d printing city-type buildings is probably a good way to go and a good "excuse" for a printer.  

Made my hobby album on facebook public - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1180903892870  -- there's a few builds and various other things.

Edited by Syagrius

Syagrius….  The projects look great, I really like the purple crystals, consider that one stolen… thanks in advance 🙂. I believe they will look great on CAV bases.  Now to make a custom mold so I can make a bunch…. Mmm?  Maybe some planning is needed?  The Star fortress molds are the mech terrain molds I am talking about.  I have cast and more or less built the set.  Painting is in progress at this point.  Very nice set of terrain, imo. 

3 hours ago, Ultramarine said:

Syagrius….  The projects look great, I really like the purple crystals, consider that one stolen… thanks in advance 🙂. I believe they will look great on CAV bases.  Now to make a custom mold so I can make a bunch…. Mmm?  Maybe some planning is needed?  The Star fortress molds are the mech terrain molds I am talking about.  I have cast and more or less built the set.  Painting is in progress at this point.  Very nice set of terrain, imo. 

Purple crystals - the little ones I have in Lego, so I just poured a mold of a few and started casting.  The bigger ones are from one of the Hirst molds.

Paint is a silver base, purple over that to make it semi-iridescent, and a *very* light drybrush (silver again, I think) over that. Oh, the crystal "crumbs" and in the box are those melty plastic things for suncatchers.  That is a 2012 project on a full-sized CD - the intent was to be a dilithium asteroid (Star Trek).  

Edited by Syagrius