Pinpoint ODST

With the changes to close combat in the pipe I guess this isn't as big of a deal, but since infantry are expected to have something like CC moving forward I feel this is worth sharing.

If you put ODST on a land-based transport and fill it with SA:Storm infantry, you can put them in base-to-base with almost any target as soon as their card comes up. The transports try to land as close as possible to the target, and then either move to point blank and shoot or double move (as needed) and then deploy their infantry. Since the infantry have SA:Storm, dismounting does not cost an action and they are able to immediately close and engage.

I feel like the best transports for this strategy are:

- Adon Courier (MV10, carries a light PBG for the intro volley).

-Adon Millipede (MV10, carries no guns, but only has 6DT and can carry a whole squad of light/heavy infantry).

-Rach Hetman (MV11, FLAMETHROWER to set the target on fire before the infantry arrive).

-Terran Tsukai (MV10, has an MRAC even though that would need fired near the beginning of the move).

Thoughts? (Also sorry for the edits. I've been training on software all week that uses ctrl+enter to drop to the next line, and that auto-posts here).

Edited by Dave.C

I thought that you were able to activate the turn ODST deploys.

But yeah, you deploy minimum 12, and then you drift. But if you aim at minimum and drift maximum away, you should still only be like 22" off of your target, which is within some of those transports' "double move" range.

Very good to know. Thanks.

Edit: I guess that you could push the ODST card to the bottom with Recon, and then activate them as soon as you can on the next round. That's about as rapid as possible.

Edited by Dave.C

Yeah you have to spend both APs to deploy. You could always use a CP to get an extra action for at least one model. This was decided as a compromise to keep someone on the ground from getting waxed without any real way to avoid it (ie being unable to shoot at the descending attackers). This makes you choose to deploy around someone who has already activated or take your chance vs someone who hasn't on the ground.

• Like 1