Does this look like a viable army list?

So we're gearing up to get back to playing CAV and hopefully won't be going 8 weeks in-between games again.

Since my friend Jeff has been painting up his templar (The white Centurions and Sabers as seen on Facebook) I've been running his lists through CAV FM and sending him the pdf's.

This is a list for 4500 points be it a slow grow league or an event or whatever. In actuality it's everything he's painted so far with 3 additional models (a Spartan and 2 more infantry bases. Spartan to add recon capability to the Cav squad, MAR infantry because he's got a ton of them laying about and won't need to buy them.)

Do you think it'll work? Or is it going to get shot off the table?

List

Attack Squad

2x Centurion

1x Crusader

1x Spartan

Recon Squad

4x Sabre

Infantry squad x2

5x Power Armor ATM w/ODST upgrade

1x Power Armor MAR w/ODST upgrade

Jeff 4500 point army.pdf

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Krugerannd said:

This is a list for 4500 points be it a slow grow league or an event or whatever.

My thoughts on this list vary on the way you plan to use it.

As a slow grow, pick up game list this looks like a lot of fun.
- The Centurions and the Crusader pack an enormous punch in their PBGs. Your attack squad's two sources of EST mean that your enemy really has to focus their fire to remove your ability to share Target Locks. Which is really good because you want those Centurions moving and shooting not 'Target Locking'.
- Your Recon squad has a lot of ECM which means you can jam Target Locks and run Counter-ECM at the same time - very useful. I don't have a lot of experience with infantry in CAV but they can certainly move onto objectives and be hard to shift off. They are very good at CC and will make most CAVs think twice before getting into charge range of them.

As an 'event' list, by which I think you mean tournament, the list isn't legal as infantry aren't allowed currently.
- Looking at just the CAV part of it... that attack squad will murder anything it can bring those PBGs to bear on. However, Centurions are slow and their main weapons are short ranged. This means you're exposed to a lot of fire you can't really return very effectively the first 2 turns, possibly 3 turns. You might not get into PBG range without taking some serious damage.
- The list construction rules for CAV tournaments limit the kind of lists you can run - assuming you're playing to win. The hard limit of 12 models max at 4500 points means your average model cost is 375 points. This list has 1253 points left over after paying for that attack squad. That leaves 156 points as the average cost for your next 8 models. So, you're looking at your attack squad and something like 8 Sabres. 
- That is a playable list but I think it'll get taken apart by something with a better 'Gun Density'. I think for 4500 points you can make a list that brings more guns to the table that can engage the enemy at longer ranges. This hypothetical enemy force will put out more damage than yours in the first and second turn for sure - possibly the third turn too depending on terrain, tactics, and dice. You'll need to play catch up in the third turn and beyond. It can work, if you get through the first three turns mostly unscathed you will BLOW STUFF UP! 🙂

Just my 2 cents.

I'm excited to hear how it works for you guys, please share!

• Like 1

My two cents:

If you're bringing ODST, don't put it on the infantry. Use your Recon ability to push your ODST card to the bottom of the deck and deploy your PBG attack squad at the end of the first round, and start round 2 with your heavies on their side of the table.

Sure, it means that your infantry are having to hoof it across the board, but they are going to be fine cleaning up anything that gets loose from the pile of plasma death happening in the other player's deployment zone.forum list.pdf

Edited by Dave.C

On 8/25/2021 at 8:37 PM, Dave.C said:

My to cents:

If you're bringing ODST, don't put it on the infantry. Use your Recon ability to push your ODST card to the bottom of the deck and deploy your PBG attack squad at the end of the first round, and start round 2 with your heavies on their side of the table.

Sure, it means that your infantry are having to hoof it across the board, but they are going to be fine cleaning up anything that gets loose from the pile of plasma death happening in the other player's deployment zone.forum list.pdf

So if putting ODST on the CAV's is good, wouldn't having it on the CAV's and Infantry both be better? I imagine the Sabres will be a little lonely for a turn or 2 but I'd imagine dropping 70% of the army in the opponents half of the board should make up for that.

• Like 1

I just realized that I misspelled "two" and it really bothers me.

Anywho: yeah, having everything that wants to be close hotdrop to minimum range would be grand, but there aren't enough points in the budget. Putting ODST on the Attack squad and making the infantry hoof it leaves you with like 13tv remaining, which is not enough to really adjust much. I haven't played with infantry, so I could be very wrong, but my gut says that Panzerfausts and MARs are going to be better for cleanup against weakened targets, while the PBGs will do just fine punching holes in more intact armor. I guess the real beauty of the list you built is that the points balance where you could run it either way and find out which feels better to you.

16 hours ago, Krugerannd said:

So if putting ODST on the CAV's is good, wouldn't having it on the CAV's and Infantry both be better? I imagine the Sabres will be a little lonely for a turn or 2 but I'd imagine dropping 70% of the army in the opponents half of the board should make up for that.

Remember that ODST units are assigned their own specific card in the draw deck that determines when they can come in so you aren't completely in control of when they appear. They also cannot activate on the turn they come in, can't deploy within 12" of an enemy, and each model scatters.

Still a powerful choice but considering the enemy force won't have much else to shoot at that turn of inactivity is going to be busy.

Ideally, you'd draw their card at or near the end of the turn, deploy them, and then get first activation next turn thus kind of eliminating the no activation on turn of deployment drawback.

As an opponent, I'd never want to use my recon ability to push your 'ODST' card to the bottom of the deck as this is exactly what you want.

If you got lucky and got ODST deployment at the end of a turn and then drew your activation at the start of the next turn I'd use my recon ability to push your activation card to the bottom in the hopes of getting to activate before the ODST squad.

That many points in ODST is going to be nasty no matter what your opponent does. Enjoy! 🙂