Primer

Wash the models in dish soap and warm water first and allow them to completely dry.

I use  Rust-Oleum as well. The first batch of models I washed, dried and primered and had no trouble whatsoever.

I forgot to wash the second batch. The primer came out very tacky and like you said wasn't drying completely. I thought it might have been on account of it being very humid here but I think it was because they weren't bathed first.

Watch what you use for primer on the KS1, 2 and 3 figures. Any spray that has more than 50% acetone in it will cause the models to become tacky to touch no matter if you wash or don't wash before you prime. If you do not know look for the MSDS sheets of the paint you want to use for primer. 

Rust-oleum puts 25-50 % acetone in their sprays. So guess what that means. You can buy 2 cans of the same paint and if one has 28% acetone it will work great on the CAV models, but if you get one that is closer to 50% or maybe just a little over your going to have a model that even if it stays out in the sun all day will be tacky. I primed a couple of models in Rust-oleum Camo Sand and they stayed out for 2 hrs. Were tacky to the touch. I let them sit in the house for 2 months and were still tacky to the touch. When I striped the primer off the tackiness went away. 

A favorite to use is Tamiya Surface Primer. It only has  1-5% acetone in it. This is why it works so well. 

Army Painter is another that people like, it also has less than 50% acetone in its cans. 

Vallejo Hobby Sprays appear to have no Acetone in them. 

GW Sprays - some are over 50% some are under, but you have to email GW to get the MSDS sheets. 

So best advice is either get the msds of the paint you want to use, or test the spray on any extra sprue, or the underside of the part that goes into the included base.. If you do end up with a tacky model you can always use testors dullcoat to help take that away.. 

If you have any questions let me know. I've not tested the DualCast yet. I tend to use the Tamiya Colors Acrylics as my primer/base coat as its an alcohol based acrylic and adheres to the plastic just fine. 

• 1 year later...

On the Plastic CAVs (and any other mini) - I dip in Simple Green, then rinse and let dry.  I don't prime plastic - from Reaper, they say NOT to prime the plastic minis, just wash, dry, and paint.

My daughter (13) and I just painted a couple of the wrecked CAV tiles - I dipped them a couple of weeks ago and rinsed them off (dab dry with a paper towel),  Painted up without any issues.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...