External ECM Pods

Just doing some theorycrafting, and it looks like the External ECMs would be really good on infantry transports. Most of them have few actual combat options, and after they deliver their charges are glorified cover. If you have the points on hand, is there a reason to not load them up with the External ECMs? 

They're likely well downfield, they are pretty much begging to absorb fire, and they don't have much else to do with their actions. Am I missing something?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Red Baron said:

What external APA?

My understanding is that infantry don't benefit from APA due to not having dedicated targeting computers to feed the extra data through. Otherwise it would absolutely be an option.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Dave.C said:

My understanding is that infantry don't benefit from APA due to not having dedicated targeting computers to feed the extra data through. Otherwise it would absolutely be an option.

I read the rules for APA, External APA, and the Errata for both and I saw nothing to suggest that infantry don't benefit from the APA bonus.

Where did you come by this understanding...?

Looking back over things, all I can figure is that I read the construction restriction that only lets CAVs, Vehicles, and Aircraft EQUIP APA as them being the only ones who could BENEFIT from it.

So yeah, absolutely sprinkle some External APA into the transports. Very good catch, James. 

Infantry Models do not benefit from APA per the Errata titled 3_4_3_Special. Under the section for APA on the first page.

"Enhanced Targeting Acquisition: Using a Special Action (1 AP) to activate, the provides SA: APA improved targeting data on any enemy model located within the system's area of effect, equal to the model's APA rating level (+1/+2), to the Combat Roll of allied non-infantry models until the start of the models next activation."

You could still mount them to the transports and use a Action to activate them and send the bonus to your CAV's, Tanks and Aircraft but those transports are going to be the center of attention.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Krugerannd said:

Infantry Models do not benefit from APA per the Errata titled 3_4_3_Special. Under the section for APA on the first page.

"Enhanced Targeting Acquisition: Using a Special Action (1 AP) to activate, the provides SA: APA improved targeting data on any enemy model located within the system's area of effect, equal to the model's APA rating level (+1/+2), to the Combat Roll of allied non-infantry models until the start of the models next activation."

You could still mount them to the transports and use a Action to activate them and send the bonus to your CAV's, Tanks and Aircraft but those transports are going to be the center of attention.

I cannot explain with words how much I love cited sources. Thank you so much.